Re: What's with Nautilus?

J French wrote:
Next up - Nautilus again: I do A LOT of development in quite a few different languages. If I try to just double click, for instance, an sql dump, I get errors like "this is a VHDL document and requires that extension". Or, if I open a php script that happens to contain only HTML, I get "this looks like HTML rather than PHP". Why does Nautilus care? These are raw text files, which gedit is perfectly capable of handling. In fact, should you attempt to open a binary file through gedit (the only time this should matter), gedit will kindly tell you as much. Am I really expected to go through everyone's files and assign the extensions Nautilus expects just to get around having to go Open With and, sometimes even have to choose Text Editor from "Other Applications"? I can understand this behavior for binary files, but that's not what I'm talking about here.
Also, gedit will reject many of the text config file in /etc/** I think because file provides the type incorrectly.

I have definitely noticed this annoyance in fedora 6.

How can I {or better we=fedora} make Gedit the default for pure text files whenever there is not a more specific handler ?
How can we make right-click "Open in gedit" available on every file ?
How can we make right-click "Open in ghex" available on every file ?
How can we make gedit open files that might contain some stray non-text characters, but are essentially text files ? I can understand code has been tidied up to not allow what you could previously do, but these were very useful time-saving features.

DaveT.