What's with Nautilus?

Under Nautilus, if you try to remove items (move them to the trash or hit Delete with them selected) that are on an NFS drive, you get an error "Not on the same filesystem". Now let me ask you, in a corporate environment, how many people's home directories are actually on the "same" filesystem? And the same as what? The only recourse here is to turn on the "Include a Delete command that bypasses trash" and use that instead, which completely negates the whole point of the trash bin - meaning if I accidentally delete something that I need, I have to go through an hour long process of attempting to recover it by rebuilding the inodes (someone know an easy way to do this?). While this is just one example, this issue actually affects me by quite a bit as my own workstation is mapped via NFS to a dozen or so other machines (data servers, web servers, storage servers, etc) and I've worked this way for years - as have quite a few other people, I'm sure.

Next up - Nautilus again: I do A LOT of development in quite a few different languages. If I try to just double click, for instance, an sql dump, I get errors like "this is a VHDL document and requires that extension". Or, if I open a php script that happens to contain only HTML, I get "this looks like HTML rather than PHP". Why does Nautilus care? These are raw text files, which gedit is perfectly capable of handling. In fact, should you attempt to open a binary file through gedit (the only time this should matter), gedit will kindly tell you as much. Am I really expected to go through everyone's files and assign the extensions Nautilus expects just to get around having to go Open With and, sometimes even have to choose Text Editor from "Other Applications"? I can understand this behavior for binary files, but that's not what I'm talking about here.

These two issues, while they may seem small at first, actually impact productivity by quite a bit. I don't rant much, but this is starting to get ridiculous. I didn't have these issues under FC5 or 6 and have been seriously considering downgrading my workstation back to 6 and leaving it there (which I still might do).

OK, I'm done now.