Re: Release Engineering Meeting Recap from Monday 16-APR-07

On 17.04.2007 11:32, Axel Thimm wrote:
On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 11:10:18AM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
On 17.04.2007 10:35, Axel Thimm wrote:
[...]
Well, I can include Extras, too, the data above was from a mail to
Jesse when it was about Core. For Extras the numbers are far more
striking, here is a common table including the FC data [...]
Hmmm, do you sill have a tree of FE[3-6] how it looked like when FC[3-6] were released?
No, do you?

No, sorry, I don't have any local Extras trees at all.

Otherwise your numbers are IMHO totally misleading, as they show
what got rebuild between release of FC[3-6] and *today*.
No, they compare the latest state of FE<N> and the latest state of
FE<N+1>.  For FE5 and FE6 for example it compares the latest state as
of today. For FE4 and FE5 it compares FE4's EOL date (~FC6) and
today. So there is no time discrepancy as you assume.

Assume package foo-1.0-1.noarch was in FE5 and devel. The FE6 got branched, so foo was not rebuild during that devel cycle (this is thus a example of a package we are up to: one that didn't get rebuild during a devel cycle). Some weeks later foo got a update to foo-1.1-1.noarch; it got build in both FE5, FE6 and FE-devel. Got a bugfix with foo-1.1-2.noarch; the old one foo-1.0-1.noarch gets deleted from the tree then, as we only ship the two latest versions.

So how can your scripts detect now that foo-1.0-1.noarch wasn't rebuild during the devel-period FE5->FE6 by looking at todays repos?

And it comes as no suprise since as we all should know FE was always
doing mass rebuilds until including FC6. I wonder how the 0.6% and 1%
were forgotten in the process. Perhaps someone did a rebuild with the
same EVR - we didn't catch these in the old days.

We never did full rebuilds. Data-packages never had to be rebuild. Noarch packages (python, perl) did not have to be rebuild during those mass rebuilds either iirc (but we adviced to do it when preparing FE6 iirc).

CU
thl