Re: Mirror/server RFE: Do not remove old kernel from updates.

Leszek Matok wrote:
Anyhow, supporting old versions of software indefinitely, because they
can break some proprietary other piece of software, is totally against
Fedora goals. Go to VMware and make them put their modules into the
official kernel or learn how to fix things yourself (which in this
particular case is very easy, thanks to VMware, which aren't that evil
after all).

Lam
Not running any proprietary software here. Pure vanilla Fedora Core 6. (Not even livna enabled at the moment.) However, kernel-2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 broke syslog. Still investigating. Currently suspect a race condition in udev which fails to create a node sufficiently "soon" for the normal start of syslog. Currently only a hypothesis though. Actual problem may be something else. It has shown up on at least one
other machine, based on an exchange on fedora-list.  We'll see whether there
are more widespread reports as more people notice that /var/log/messages is
empty.

My solution is to: first disable the yum-updatesd service. Second, change in
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf the line
    enabled=1
   enabled=0
This means that I run "yum update" regularly at an appropriate time (just after a backup) and regularly do a "df" to see whether I need (space in /boot is critical) to manually remove ("yum remove") some old kernels ("rpm -q kernel" for a list). Obviously, manually minding the store is not possible for everyone.