Re: New developer

Vlad wrote:
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It is not worth the effort for Anaconda and many other tools.

Sure, if you think KDE users aren't worth having an efficient Fedora
system.

Don't presume what I think please. What I am claiming is that a bunch of GTK based tools in a KDE spin of Fedora is better than the time spend rewriting these tools in QT.

wastes memory/diskspace, slows down startup time, and leads to
graphical inconsistencies. For people with low-end hardware that makes
a huge difference.

I doubt that loading GTK instead of QT makes a big difference. Before we go down this route let's properly analyze the benefits claimed instead of having some vague notions.

Wasting memory and disk space: How much exactly?

Look and Feel: Can be mostly solved by http://gtk-qt.ecs.soton.ac.uk/ which there was a plan to provide by default in the KDE spin.

How exactly does it make a huge difference in low end hardware? Provide benchmarks.

> That's a suboptimal solution, originating from a lack of foresight in
> designing those applications to separate the core functionality from
> the GUI components.

Given that "we lacked foresight" and that the business logic is now not separated from the UI in many of the tools is it worth rewriting them?

The only reason I mentioned the lack of KDE frontends for system tools
in Fedora is that a potential developer with Qt background asked where
he can help.

... and where I would suggest that there are better easier things to tackle rather than rewriting Anaconda and system-config* tools. Just ask the KDE SIG.

Rahul