Re: rpms/ettercap/devel ettercap.spec,1.4,1.5

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 06:51:57 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > Making a file %ghost, when multiple packages use the alternatives system
> > for a shared set of paths, would be wrong.
>
> I disagree, I've done it, and it works just fine.  I've advocated that all
> alternatives-using-packages (particularly jpackage ones) use this
> technique.

Now you've got N packages which pretend they own a file/symlink. But none
of them does actually, since it's only a symlink that points into the
alternatives config space. And it's only one of the packages that owns
what the symlink may point to.

The alternatives symlink is a configuration value and doesn't belong into
any package. The admin could also point the symlink to something in
/usr/local, and you don't want to remove his customisation when an rpm is
uninstalled.