Re: hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Bernard Johnson wrote:
David Zeuthen wrote:
Now, if only HP would play nicely with the open source community and
_just_ provide only drivers instead of reinventing the wheel by

Well, I'm sure you're just emphatic about "better software" but I think
it comes across as looking a gift horse in the mouth.  I mean, what do
you want, junk the hp software and then I can have the same printing
capabilities as when I had this:
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_3100

(disclaimer: i'm not actually using the hp software...)

But, the whole analogy to looking a gift horse in the mouth is somewhat mute here, wouldn't you say? Just because corp XYZ throws a pile of software at the open source community, doesn't mean we have to embrace it if we don't like it. This is not a gift from anyones grandma, but from a manufacturer that just wants an easy to use toolset for linux users. The cause is noble enough, but if the software is less than ideal, which it appears to be in this case, we are free to choose to do whatever we want with it.

/Thomas