Re: yum-deltarpm (Was Thread Hijack - Our package management GUI tools need improvement)

Ahmed Kamal wrote:

    The reconstruction doesn't require the local files marked %config to be
    the original file right?  Any other local files it explicitly doesn't
    rely upon?

Um, not sure. But it does have to reconstruct the new rpm, and that rpm would have to pass md5/sha1/gpg checks! Doesn't that mean even %config files have to be untouched?! I need to double check how this is handled

1) Client wants to upgrade from foo-3.2-1 to foo-3.2-2 (Transition X)
2) Client metadata sees that Transition X has a drpm available (from metadata or something). 3) Client checks using rpm -V (or more likely the rpm API equivalent) to see if the local files are intact. This step is a little time consuming, but it is worthwhile because we know that a drpm is available above the defined efficiency threshold. 4) All files are intact, except some files in /etc marked %config are changed. This is OK. 5) drpm contains %config file data even if they did not change in Transition X. This allows reconstruction of the original foo-3.2-2 RPM even if the local %config files are modified.

deltarpm needs to put data within the drpm that is likely to change on the local systems. This includes %config, but possibly other things like /var. We can craft this predefined list to whatever our research finds is necessary.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx