Re: Proposal: Convert .mo files to UTF-8

On 01/03/07, Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Egmont Koblinger (egmont@xxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> - The only thing that needs to be done is an "msgunfmt" followed by "msgconv
>   -t UTF-8" and finally "msgfmt" for all the .mo files under the standard
>   locale directories.
>
> - So, after all, it is _very_ easy to implement it.

So, what this has the potential to do is encode the timestamp of this
conversion in the final .mo file. Which then will cause multilib conflicts
on package installs.

Surely this sort of good idea should be done on much higher level than fedora?
If this sort of thing is done in the automake type level then all the
distros benefit, although I can't pretend that I understand all the
msgfmt stuff.

Richard.