Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:23:39 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

I think the responsibilities of sponsors are the same as they have
always been (although no where written down), namely:

The fact that they are not written down makes it useless.

This is a fair criticism that I've been thinking to solve lately, especially with the need to bring on many additional cvsextras members from the RH engineers.

- Fix problems that they cause if mistakes are made and they can't
figure out how to fix them.

You know this has become impossible with the ACLs. The original intent of
the Vacation page in the Wiki is void, too. Packagers would need to lift
the acls on all their packagers, before they could allow trusted
contributors to help out during vacation.

PLEASE STOP ASSUMING HOW THINGS ARE TODAY ARE HOW WE WANT IT TO BE FOREVER.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/
Toshio has been making some faster than expected progress on the PackageDB. The first goal is to get rid of owners.list and to manage the ACL's entirely via the database.

Later possible steps in the evolution of this system include:
- (discussed yesterday in #fedora-admin) group and "rank" based ACL's. For example, as a package owner I may want any cvsextras rank to have access to most of my packages. But I may want only sponsor and higher ranks to have write access to spamassassin. groups might also be useful for convenient group maintenance of SIG's, like Games SIG. - There is a strong desire to allow a sponsor to have some level of control over a sponsoree's packages, but the exact policy details of how to do this has to be figured out. - Drive package reviews with an optimally designed workflow, getting rid of all the extraneous noise and ambiguity of using Bugzilla for this purpose.

There are a number of large moving pieces now, and you are right that need to be doing a better job of communicating the overall status and roadmap of all this.

Hm...

Warren