keeping all he proprietary stuff away from Fedora (Was: Re: Goodbye, Fedora)

On 23.02.2007 11:16, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
Gilboa Davara wrote:
On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 03:03 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
[snip, snip, snip]
Am I the only one that finds ESR's post even more amusing now that
Microsoft lost a 1.52B$ patent case against Alcatel-Lucent concerning
the use of MP3 technology in WMP? [1]
- Gilboa
[1] http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6198
Amusing or not, it does confirm that our current policy of keeping all the proprietary stuff away from Fedora, is really for the best. Even if users have to pull those packages from 3rd party repos.

Agreed. Nevertheless it IMHO would be helpful,

- if we had one major 3rd party repo instead of multiple ones that are conflicting with each other sometimes

- if that 3rd party repo would have be slitted in non-free stuff and potential harmful stuff, so users and contributors from the US and some other country's can safely work with the non-free repo without getting involved with the more problematic stuff

- if we had some kind backing for a non-free repo from Red Hat or some other "Big Company" when it comes to knocking of doors to ask questions like "Hi Adobe, may we include a Adobe Reader RPM in the non-free community repo foo? They would do some some minor adjustments to the RPM to make it perfectly work with Fedora; that best for both sides"

Just my 2 cent.

CU
thl