Re: Build rescue image for USB sticks

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 08:36 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> How much work would be involved to create a rescue image that could be
> written to an USB flash drive (like the one in os/images/diskboot.img),
> so that a complete rescue system could be booted from the stick, without
> need for network access?
>
> USB media are pretty cheap these days :)

I just tried this. You can mount the rescue CD image, copy everything in
the isolinux directory to the root of a FAT formatted flash drive,
rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg and install syslinux. It'll boot up,
but I wasn't able to figure out how to make it find the stage2.img on
the flash drive. It'll ask you where the install CDs are, and selecting
the flash drive does nothing.