Re: Static linking considered harmful

Chris Adams wrote:
I've never tried that.  I wonder just how hard it would be to get
something useful.  Could you decompose a statically linked binary and
relink it (against the same glibc, etc.) to get a dynamically linked
binary (that should then work with newer glibcs)?  Once a static binary
is stripped, I don't think there's enough information left, is there?

This is only possible (if ever) when all the relocations are kept in the final binary. There is a linker option to do this but it doesn't really work reliably.

Regardless, the object file/source distinction is meaningless anyway. The object files encode ABI internals. Those change and make object file reuse impossible (we never guarantee compatibility of object files, only executables and DSOs). Therefore I argue that without distributing sources people linking statically are always violating the license since they don't allow relinking with later or earlier versions.