Re: Reducing Fedora memory footprint?

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 08:42 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 19:27 +0100, Leszek Matok wrote:
> > Now you're comparing apples and oranges. I was talking about apt from
> > Extras, using repomd repositories. You're comparing yum with Debian's
> > apt with their repos (different number of files and packages; should be
> > greater, but I don't know if "main" contains all their packages, or is
> > it something like our "Core").
> >
> > apt-rpm also has its own repo format which is much faster to download
> > and parse than repomd. You should check it out :)
That's true. Accessing metadata repos (aka yum repos) with apt, causes
apt to regress quite significantly "memory-footprint" wise in comparison
to accessing apt-native repos.

If you want to try it, set up yum and apt-repos containing rpms and try
to access them with FE's apt (Or find an external repo which supports
both apt and yum-repos.) This apt is supposed to support both styles of
repos.

>From what I have tested (on an i586/166MHz with 64MB RAM and FC6
installed) both, yum and apt using yum-repos, both end up with using
comparable amounts of memory, with slight advantages for yum.

> I would have conducted an apt-rpm vs yum test, but I'm on x86_64, and
> last time I checked, apt has lousy bi-arch support. (Did it improve)
The apt-version in FE should be able to handle bi-arched Fedora.

> FYI I'm using Debian unstable which has comparable number of packages.
Which doesn't mean much, because handling rpms and debs in apt are
completely different code bases.

Ralf