Re: Core + Exrtas 2

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 10:32:56AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
Perhaps what you are looking for is in rawhide. (That's what I run on my
desktop.)

That may be. I've never actually tried to run rawhide on a permanent basis
because I don't have the time necessary to report bugs for any extended
period.

Please don't do this. It will just turn Fedora into yet another one of
many "backport security fixes only and make our users die of boredom"
distributions.
There's a six month release cycle! Do you really die of boredom that
quickly?

In the case of waiting for new drivers that are needed for Fedora to work
correctly on my box, I probably would, indeed, die of boredom waiting for
the next release.

You are bored because you dont get the latest updates but you dont have time to participate in testing of rawhide or updates-testing. Perhaps when you are bored you can help out and contribute.

There's something to be said for a _little_ boring.

- Demanding that packages pass through updates-testing before going to
  updates is a little boring.

A blanket demand might be cumbersome but it generally is a good idea to shoot for better robustness. Limited exceptions can be granted for high priority security fixes and other very trivial changes.

- Asking for ABI compatibility is a little boring.

I dont think we can meet ABI compatibility requirements on all updates.

"Security fixes only" is far too restrictif to have that qualification.

Agreed.

Rahul