Re: Core + Exrtas 2

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 09:13:52AM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
Its an interesting question, one that I'd like to hear opinions on. Historically we haven't made new packages available in core unless they were needed by something else already in. However having Extras around helped in that new packages could get introduced there. Just adding the package in sounds OK on the surface, but one needs to consider some of the guidelines we're putting up as far as what can be spun and called Fedora. If a bunch of new packages show up after Fedora 7 is cut, would somebody be able to make use of those packages when spinning their cut of Fedora 7? I think it's pretty safe to say that a lot of these packages wouldn't have a chance to go through any kind of QA / Testing that Will is trying to put in place.

I think Fedora has fast enough a release schedule that new packages and
major upgrades of existing packages (except when it's the most
straightforward security fix -- thanks, firefox developers!) should wait for
the next release.

Why, what is there to loose? I agree with you on major upgrades of existing packages,
but adding a new package to the repo, say a new game for example, will not hurt existing
users in anyway, even if they do a daily yum update it will change nothing for them, except
an ever so slightly larger metadata download.

Regards,

Hans