Re: Firefox trademark shenanigans (Re: Any chance of getting Firefox 2.0 into rawhide/FC6?)

Keith G wrote:
It's unclear who's right.  I've heard arguments from other lawyers that
the GPL simply cannot apply to images as the GPL itself explicitly
refers to "source code" and its arguable whether an image is (I don't
personally think images are source code, but a lawyer I am not).  A
license that better serves images such as a CC license might work best.

I am not a lawyer either, but I agree with this interpretation of the
GPL.  And yet many people do license images under the GPL.  It's
certianly very unclear whether this would stand up in court or not.
IMO the FSF should release another version of the GPL specifically for
"media" instead of "source code"'.

We had this discussion on Fedora Art when pondering the license for the new icon theme (Echo) and have NOT reached a consensus yet. CC-BY-SA (attribution, share-alike) has it own troubles, some people argue it is not compatible with GPL.

OTOH, if the graphics is created in vector format, say SVG, I think it can be argued this vector format *is* source code and the exported PNG is something like a compiled binary.

--
nicu