Re: Firefox trademark shenanigans (Re: Any chance of getting Firefox 2.0 into rawhide/FC6?)

On 10/2/06, Christopher Aillon <caillon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton <pemboa <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> Sorry to jump in here. But from what I've read, it seems that MozCo is
>> cool with Fedora as things stand.
>
> But for how long? I think the patch approval process can also be a constraint
> on the Fedora Legacy team. Currently, Legacy is simply upgrading rather than
> backporting, and even working on packaging Seamonkey to replace the
> discontinued Mozilla Suite for the older distros (that gratuitous name change
> is also due to Mozilla's trademark policies, by the way),

No, it's not.  Seamonkey's name is rather irrelevant.  It's really a
different product.  Not maintained by the same people, it's a fork of
the old project.  See what happened with galeon and epiphany.  Same
browser, same original author, different name.

Firefox's stringent trademarking policies became born because the
Mozilla trademark became diluted.  You even see it in Internet
Explorer's User Agent string.  The Mozilla trademark was long since
"lost" so to speak.

I always wondered how this was even allowed.

--
Fedora Core 5 and proud