Re: Wishlist: remote install GUI

On 8/31/06, Paul W. Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 17:50 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 8/30/06, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 8/30/06, Steven Pritchard <steve@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > A thought came up on IRC earlier that I thought I should record
> > > somewhere:
> > >
> > >   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StevenPritchard/InstallConsole
> > >
> > > To summarize, back in the late 90s when I was an HP-UX admin, I
> > > thought that one of the nicer tools HP made was something called
> > > Ignite-UX.  It was a GUI that could be used to remotely start an
> > > install of HP-UX.  On several occasions, I used to it completely
> > > reinstall dozens of HP-UX workstations all at once.
> > >
> > > I think something similar for Fedora would be Really Cool, and I'm
> > > convinced it would be fairly easy to implement by someone who knew
> > > anaconda much, much better than I do.  :-)
> >
> > VNC won't do?
> >
> is there a doc up on how to remtoe install via vnc? I would like to
> give this a try on my test machine come FC6

As Mike also realized, VNC isn't exactly the same thing, in that you
can't *initiate* the install remotely.  But if you have a boot CD/DVD,
like Jesse said, you can do the install mostly as a remote operation.
The Installation Guide has had this information for some time; see
Appendix A:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/sn-remoteaccess-installation.html

That's for FC5, but the information won't change much, if at all, for
FC6.

Along the path of alternate install methods ... how feasible is it to
say PXE book a remtoe machine, then have the install process start on
it somehow. I am not familiar with the require technologies, but they
seem to already exist.

Would be nice if Fedora could pioneer (assuming ti doesn't alreayd
exist) the ability to put a Disk 1 into machine X, have machine X boot
to Disk 1, then have machine Y switch on and PXE boot, pulling the
necessary info from machine X and have an monitor the installtion of
machine Y from machine X via VNC (NX would be nice).

If I could afford I would open up a bounty on that.

Peace.

--
To be updated...