Re: possible yast porting? was: slashdot on fedora-marketing-list

On 8/30/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ya I really am saddened that no other distros have taken advantage of
> > YaST being open source. Everyone keeps wasting resources and
> > rebuilding when YaST is a good alternative and includes an ncurses gui
> > too. I really like YaST and is probably the reason I keep having a
> > hard time deciding between Fedora and openSUSE and keeping both of
> > them on my HD. Porting YaST should be way simpler for Fedora as it is
> > already RPM based. So many modules are there that rebuilding something
> > else just seems like a waste of time.

Please god no...  YAST is one of the worst systems out there.  linuxconf is
pretty close too.

Umm actually Novell seems to be doing pretty good including it in
their server options and I would like your reasoning for demeaning it
in such a way. Not that I do not realize it has problems of its own, I
think too many people simply critisize it because well, it makes
things easier. Personally I can personally compare it to the control
panel and atleast with something like that I could do stuff much
easier/quicker that way and if I was trying to help someone else
(especially newer people to Linux) it would be easier to walk them
through that/document stuff then have them cut/paste into config files
and the like which is in different places usually for distributions
anyway.Ubuntu seems to be building one and reinventing the wheel as
usual, but I would like to see Fedora getting in with a control panel
also and YaST seems like a prime candidate.

Steve