Re: Attention kernel module project packagers!

David Woodhouse schrieb:
Given that we don't want it on Core or Extras, I'm pretty happy to
let random 3rd party packager do whatever they want for packaging
modules.  I'm not interested in dictating how they should handle
this ugly hack.

Your example about ntfs is not usable w/out the userland
(ntfsprogs), which nobody wants to touch due to legal reasons, and
would be obsoleted by FUSE anyway where the most recent ntfs
support is done entirely in userspace.

There are many more things the packaging committee can spend time
worrying about.  Packaging of kernel modules isn't one of them
IMHO.

Yeah, that's a fair point. However, it would be useful if those who
_do_ care about kernel module packages would come to an agreement
about how it should be done, and that can be documented somewhere
central to Fedora -- like on the Fedora wiki.

We can modify our kernel RPM and yum if appropriate in order to
support that agreed method.

That already happend -- FESCo worked out and agreed on a propsoal last
winter http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/KernelModules

It's working fine.

CU
thl