Re: some closure on the xorg updates issue

On 8/11/06, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rahul wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Max Spevack wrote:
>>> 4) The number of Fedora users who, due to the hardware that they
>>> own, are forced to rely on proprietary video drivers is significant
>>> enough for us to be concerned about breaking their systems.
>> Isn't this one of the beautiful things of RPM, which can have
>> Conflicts set so user's systems will not be broken be an automatic
>> (unattended?), or manual yum update? Do we not expect Fedora users to
>> be savvy enough to get the dependency error, Google around a bit, and
>> yum --exclude=xorg update?
>
> Thats a very poor user experience.
>
> Rahul

I'm sorry, but when translated, this either sounds offensive in means
you find my opinion a very poor user experience, or it means user's that
would encounter the above would experience it as poorly...

Kind regards,

-kanarip

In my opinion users should not be required to do this, which is what I
think a poor user experience means: difficult. Clicking pup from the
panel and letting it do the updates automatically is better than
having to search for some dependency work arounds to type into yum.

I want updates to be as easy as possible, for me and all users.

John