Re: s2ram (Was: Re: Request for comments: Laptop improvements)

On 15/06/06, Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thorsten Leemhuis (fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> That's okay for me. Are there any efforts in that direction already?
> gnome-power-manager perhaps?
>
> BTW, managing whitelists and "lists with required workarounds for
> certain laptops" really sounds like something to me that needs to be
> handled somewhere "upstream" -- otherwise each distro would have to
> manage its own lists and that wastes a lot of man-power without a real
> benefit afaics...

There is pm-utils work going on to integrate these sorts of things
with HAL at freedesktop.org(?). I believe Richard Hughes has been leading
the work, with some help from Red Hat, Ubuntu, and SuSE people.

Yes, the idea is that HAL merges FDI files that provide information
about a specific bit of hardware (matched against dmidata or similar)
that pm-utils can then use to do clever things.

For instance with HAL and pm-utils CVS I could add one fdi file to
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/ to match vendor=Intel, device=foo-bar and I
can get my screen to re-post when resuming from standby in a distro
independant way. This way we only do the work once figuring out what
systems need what quirks and all distros can be clever :-)

See the pm-utils archives and hal archives more more info.

Richard.