Re: [NEW IDEA] Automatic removal of dependencies

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Callum Lerwick wrote:

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 14:05 +0930, n0dalus wrote:
The problem is that there's not a good way yet of giving packages
'Suggests'/'Enhances' tags. At the moment all we provide are packages
with either 'Requires' or nothing. The idea would be that the package
manager would ask the user which suggests/enhances to install (with
suggests selected by default).

Which is something Debian packages support. Meh, I've always figured RPM
systems seem to get along okay without it, and most of all on my Debian
systems I never find myself actually using or caring about Suggests /
Recommends anyway, but I guess it's not a horrible idea. What would be
nice if we're going to do it is a human friendly short %description as
to what exactly each optional dependency enhances or adds.

Recent rpm versions support soft dependencies, eg
Requires(hint): foo
Provides(hint): bar

..and have corresponding "aliases" for spec file syntax:
Suggests: foo
Enhances: bar

Too bad it doesn't seem like we're getting a version of rpm supporting those anytime soon :-/

	- Panu -