Re: FC5: first impressions

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Willem Riede wrote:

Well, that's just your opinion. Mine is different. Sometimes I see a link in a mail that I want to follow up on later. I don't need firefox jumping in my face. Or a mail has an attachment I need to read - eventually. I'll open it with openoffice so I don't forget. But I don't want its splash screen nor window visible now.

So there are different use cases, and at least an option will allow people to select the behavior that best fits them. FWIW I'm not convinced the ideal algorithm has been discovered, or is even possible, as if you ask me to define when I want a new window to come up with focus and when not, the answer is "that depends on what I want to do with it"...

Amen. Whether you want something to start focused or not depends 100% on what you want to do with it *at that moment*. With browsers this is easy: just open up stuff in new tabs as you encounter interesting links, and then process the tabs eventually. The computer could never, ever know whether I want to read that link immediately or later so the decision has to be mine. Simple enough, left-click or middle-click.

Maybe this is just a crack idea from a caffeine deprived mind but what if left click meaned start with focus and middle click start without focus? It's kinda similar to the open in new tab-case from browsers and I think that concept has already shown it works and isn't beyond the grasp of the so called "average use" either ;)

	- Panu -