Re: Rawhide performance?

Dax Kelson wrote:
I installed rawhide on a beefy desktop computer.

AMD FX-55 CPU
2GB RAM
300GB SATA RAID1 (testing out the new dmraid integration)
Nvidia 6800GT 256MB video (Qty 2 -- SLI)
1600x1200 resolution

I haven't quantified it yet, but desktop GNOME performance seems very
sluggish. Many seconds to launch apps. Many seconds for the GNOME panel
menu to drop down and populate with icons. In general the lack of
performance is bad enough to be very noticeable and annoying.

One trick which improved performance from what you describe to ok for me, was rerunning fc-cache - I had a directory of fonts in my home directory, and it seemed to parse them every time something started.