Re: RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Christopher Aillon wrote:

On 01/19/2006 02:10 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Not confusing but not attractive either. For everybody who doesnt understand the meaning behind the black diamond reference, it is still a attractive name. If people miss out all the references to indicate that its a test release with the announcements, anaconda etc they are really being naive...

Well, do we really want to sound too attractive? Its effectively beta quality software.

We do. We need more people to test it. I am of the opinion that we have been way too cautious about asking people to say away and we end up with bugs in the GA release as a result of that.

People need to know that up front (before wasting time downloading it). The people that don't mind beta test software will get it. If we attract more than that, we run the risk of others thinking that we suck because we're rough around the edges and then they un-install it and never look back, spouting out curses directed our way all the while. The Mozilla guys get around this by removing all branding from the software until its a final release. We don't really want to do that, I don't think...

If we really want to go the naming route, I'd spend more time figuring out cool names for the final releases.

Thats orthogonal to having a nick for the various test releases like Debian Sid or whatever.

--
Rahul