Re: suspend/hibernate on desktops

Quoting Dave Jones <davej redhat com>:

Most of the diff between in-kernel suspend and suspend2 is
the bells & whistles like compression, splash screens, etc.

If that were true, then vanilla suspend code would work on my notebook but it would just be uglier and slower. However, it isn't just uglier and slower, it also hangs my X consistently on resume.

The internals of suspend2 are explained in the file Documentation/power/internals.txt, once you apply the patch. I'm no kernel hacker, but it looks like the algorithms for doing things have been changed - it's not just spit and polish.

On the practical side, the "bells and whistles" of suspend2 make my system actually suspend/resume reliably (it's been like that for months and months now) and fast. Most "pretty stuff" (splash, text/graphical progress etc.) is already in userspace with suspend2.

Let me reiterate once more: one of the best parts of suspend2 is support. Nigel makes sure things actually get fixed wrt. real systems that people use on variety of distributions. I am yet to see a query about a problem go unanswered on the list.

In conclusion, I wouldn't just dismiss suspend2 to as some redundant patch. It makes many real systems actually suspend and resume, unlike the vanilla code.

--
Bojan