Re: ATrpms and FC5/RHEL5

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 10:44:36PM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Right, so repository XYZ carries the package ABC, which I need, but
> since XYZ fosters the repo hell, I shall simply walk away whistling.

The correct thing to do would be to:

1) Complain to the repo maintainer that replacing Core (and Extras?)
   packages is a big no-no.
2) Find out why said repo maintainer feels the need to replace said
   packages
3) Submit a bug in Bugzilla to solve repo maintainer's need
4) Wait for bug to be resolved. Wait for repo maintainer to rebuild
   packages that don't conflict with Core/Extras anymore.

> 3rd party repos have no business fiddling with the core packages, since
> that is the root cause of the repo hell. It boggles the mind that this
> is not a self-evident truth.

The problem isn't telling them this, it's finding out why it's happening
and how to prevent it. Fight the cause, not the symptom.

Emmanuel