Re: status of up2date and rhn-applet

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On the topic of notifications.... would it be possible for have room
in the notification metadata for a "repo notification"?  When a person

Speaking generally, would it help the user experience if yum/pup could warn the user if a package installed from repo A is about to be replaced with a package from repo B?

This notification could come up when the user enables a repo for the first time, and/or when the replacement is actually about to happen.

The user would ideally then be able to set a pref to be warned a) never, b) only if a package from core is replaced, c) every time a cross-repo upgrade is about to take place.

So that we don't break the nightly yum update, cross-repo upgrades should get logged. If the user chooses to be warned along scenarios B or C, the log could contain a message like "We did not upgrade package X to version Y from repo FOO, because it was originally installed from repo BAR."

I guess the general idea is that every package gets affiliated to a preferred repo at time of first install of that package, and users can expect to rely on that behavior.

This would help with both the updates-testing problem that Jeff and Jeremy are talking about, also help Willem's poblem, because neither atrpms nor updates-testing would override packages when they shouldn't.