Re: init: API

Kenneth Porter wrote:

So far all init scripts are written in Bash, and the ones I'm familiar with use simple variable=value pairs, using Bash syntax. Is that sufficient? What can't be expressed in that way?

hierarchical configuration. multiple instances of the same service. most complex services have their own config files so the complexity is pushed there.

The hierarchical configuration I've seen has been in the networking scripts, and is encoded in the filesystem, using filenames or directory trees to represent configuration nodes. What's the drawback of that, if any?

dependencies not expressed explicitly, messy config files.

for example, my ppp0 depends on eth0, and a potential vpn would depend on ppp0. there is no way to express that with the current syntax. there is special support for bonding, etc.

also it's horribly slow:

[root@blast ~]# time /sbin/service network restart
Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:
Determining IP information for eth0... done.

                                                          [  OK  ]

real    0m11.043s
user    0m0.656s
sys     0m0.776s

1.4 seconds of cpu time to issue a few ioctls and send a couple of packets (2.4GHz Athlon64).