Re: rt2x00 driver support in FC5

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 10:34:51AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
 > On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 03:29:01AM -0600, Michael Favia wrote:
 > >
 > > Would you suggest trying to get the (more stable) separate drivers
 > > included upstream while the unified driver codebase settles down?
 > > Meaning, is it a smart move to try to push something in that will be
 > > functionally replaced in a year? If it isnt terribly difficult to
 >
 > a year is a long time, so long that I'd say try the existing one.

You've not seen the existing one I take it ? :)
It's likely a lot less effort to beat the new driver into shape
than to fix up the mess of the old driver, which reinvented
a whole bunch of things the kernel has, and looked like a mangled
windows driver the last time I saw it.

The rewrite takes advantage of things like the in-kernel 80211 core,
and has been written with kernel style in mind.  There may still
be some nits, but it's defintly going in the right direction.

		Dave