SPDX Statistics - Dvořák Edition

Hot news:

- I am going through "neither Callaway nor SPDX" license formulas. I submitted dozens PR for your packages. And beside obvious typos or partial conversion I see cases where maintainers use SPDX id of license. This is not enough the license id must have SPDX id **and** must be on fedora-license-data list. If you do not see the license on https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/all-allowed/ (or it does not pass `license-validate` test) then please open issue against fedora-license-data at https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data

- when your package has in license string LicenseRef-Callaway-* then rpmlint and rpminspect will complain about it. While reverting the string silence these linter (for now) the correct way is to correctly identify SPDX id. Best way is to

$ sudo dnf install scancode-toolkit
$ fedpkg clone $PACKAGE
$ cd $PACKAGE
$ fedpkg prep
$ cd $ARCHIVEDIR
$ scancode --license --license-references --html /tmp/scan.html -n8 . && firefox /tmp/scan.html

- We had a meeting with Garry O'Neal from SPDX who introduced to variety of tools he is using for license scanning. We would love to deploy fossology in Fedora infrastructure to ease your license scanning.

Two weeks ago we had:

* 24376 spec files in Fedora

* 31002 license tags in all spec files

* 5970 tags have not been converted to SPDX yet

* 188 tags can be trivially converted using `license-fedora2spdx`

* Progress: 81,24% ░░░░░ 100%

ELN subset:

142 out of 2322 packages are not converted yet (progress 93.88%)

Today we have:

* 24426 spec files in Fedora

* 31052 license tags in all spec files

* 5918 tags have not been converted to SPDX yet

* 181 tags can be trivially converted using `license-fedora2spdx`

* Progress: 81,11% ░░░░░ 100%

ELN subset:

140 out of 2325 packages are not converted yet (progress 93.98%)

Graph of these data with the burndown chart:

   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QVMEzXWML-6_Mrlln02axFAaRKCQ8zE807rpCjus-8s/edit?usp=sharing

The list of packages needed to be converted is here:

    https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/packages-without-spdx-final.txt

List by package maintainers is here

   https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/packages-without-spdx-final-maintainers.txt

Packages that are neither in SPDX nor in Callaway format (highest priority for now):

https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/neither-nor-remaining-packagers.txt

New version of fedora-license-data has been released. With:

    5 new licenses
    7 licenses are waiting to be reviewed by SPDX.org (and then to be added to fedora-license-data) https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data/-/issues/?label_name%5B%5D=SPDX%3A%3Ablocked

Legal docs and especially

  https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/allowed-licenses/

was updated too.

New projection when we will be finished is 2025-03-27 (+17 days from last report).  Pure linear approximation.
If your package does not have neither git-log entry nor spec-changelog entry mentioning SPDX and you know your license tag matches SPDX formula, you can put your package on ignore list

  https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/ignore-packages.txt

Either pull-request or direct email to me is fine.

Why Dvořák edition? Because on today's date at 1892 Czech composer Antonín Dvořák arrived on steam boat to New York per request of Jeanett Thurberg. Dvořák stayed in US for 3 years as director of National Conservatory of Music. Directly influenced by stay in US he composed "From the New World". Neil Armstrong took this recording for his Apollo 11 mission and it was first musing that was played on the Moon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._9_(Dvo%C5%99%C3%A1k)

https://open.spotify.com/album/6FMu88LoghMcmme2aDkK3S?si=OKGoOpwJSRCOPIhcxID17g  [40 minutes]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton%C3%ADn_Dvo%C5%99%C3%A1k#United_States

Miroslav