Re: F41 Change Proposal: Switch to DNF5 (system-wide)

Thanks Neal! this is great news to me :)

On 14.08.24 16:32, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Wed, Aug 14, 2024 at 10:30 AM Marcus Müller <marcus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

I've got a question regarding
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SwitchToDnf5#Background_service_support :

  > A new daemonized service, dnf5daemon, utilizing the D-Bus interface, is prepared for
clients as a sub-package. This will serve as an alternative or replacement for the
PackageKit layer. Integration of dnf5daemon support into the default Fedora user
interface, GNOME Software, is currently in progress

So, is moving away from PackageKit and doing its own, distro-specific abstraction daemon,
the goal here?

I ask because I remarked, a while back, in
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf5/discussions/924 that PackageKit
integration is paramount for users of shell "command-not-found" functionality.

The intent is to have a dnf5 PackageKit backend too. It hasn't been
started because the API wasn't stabilized enough to start work on. It
should be settling down now, though.