Re: [Java related] packaging Italian ID card middleware

Germano Massullo wrote:
> It worths also mentioning that both the Windows and Mac OS versions do
> not contain any Java source.
> Moreover, the Windows version contains some C# sources
> https://github.com/italia/cie-middleware
> and the Mac OS version contains some Objective C sources
> https://github.com/italia/cie-middleware-macos
> They should have just used Qt libraries like the Estonian ID card
> software stack
> https://github.com/open-eid

This implementation looks like they just had the requirement to make a
"Linux version" on their requirement sheet, but no actual GNU/Linux
developers. So they just used what they knew, which unfortunately is Java.
Whereas the proprietary operating systems get nice native applications in
one of the operating system's preferred programming languages. Sad.

I wonder whether unofficial software (e.g., a port of any of those 3
implementations to C++/Qt) would be allowed or whether there would be legal
risks in attempting to use them. (Hopefully, at least exercising the Free
Software rights under the license of the official software ought to be
safe!)

        Kevin Kofler