Re: Announcing fmt library soversion bump

On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 4:51 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 18/07/2024 08:27, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I guess the fmt10 compat package needs to be imported to ELN (or
> > everything patched/rebuilt to so.11).
>
> You're right, a compatibility version is required to unbreak Koji/dnf5
> there, but Fedora maintainers can't do anything with it since ELN is a
> separate subset of Fedora packages.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Fedora maintainers can't do anything
with it". The ELN team is happy to work with people on things like
this. Ideally, the rebuilds would have been done in a side-tag, which
will usually allow us to rebuild them all together (inheriting the
Rawhide builds into the buildroot to avoid bootstrapping loops). There
was no side-tag in this instance, so we probably got bitten by that.

> To prevent such issues in the future, I think the dnf5 package should
> have a %bcond option to build it against fmt in a header-only mode
> (fully supported by fmt-devel).
>
> This will help fmt maintainers too - the compatibility package fmtX
> won't be needed:
>
> 1. Rebuild dnf5 in a header-only mode.
> 2. Update fmt.
> 3. Rebuild dnf5 again in normal mode.

I've asked Yaakov Selkowitz to try and untangle the situation now.
Thanks for letting us know!