Re: F42 Change Proposal: Enable Drm Panic (system-wide)

  Hi,

> > > Do you expect to see the rest of the drivers supported by the time
> > > Fedora 42 rolls around? Because if it only works with nouveau, it's
> > > probably not worth enabling.
> >
> > I think it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. If no distro enables
> > it, there will be little incentive for the drivers to add support.
> >
> > Also, on all hardware, simpledrm is used at boot, so common kernel panic
> > like "unable to mount /", or "failed to execute /init", will use drm_panic.
> >
> > FYI, I opened an issue for amdgpu here:
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/3340
> >
> > And for i915 here:
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/i915/kernel/-/issues/10954
>
> Forgive me for the potentially dumb question, but why does every
> driver have to individually implement support for it? DRM is a
> framework, right? So how come it's not implemented in a way such that
> all DRM drivers get it "for free"?

The hard problem is that at panic time you have no idea what state the
system is in.  So ideally you bring the message to the screen without
taking any locks, to avoid being stopped by a deadlock.  A generic
solution which goes through drm interfaces (like generic fbdev emulation
does) simply can't do that.

take care,
  Gerd