Re: The future Fedora Copr "rolling" chroot cleanup policy

Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> This is a gentle heads-up (at least a year in advance) that we plan to
> address Fedora Copr storage consumption related to Fedora Rawhide
> builds.  Currently, Rawhide build results are kept indefinitely, but
> this is going to change in the future.
>
> For the full story, see the blog post:
> https://fedora-copr.github.io/posts/cleanup-rawhide-builds
>
> TL;DR: We plan to start monitoring build activity in Copr projects.
> If no builds appear for a long time in these "rolling" chroots (such as
> Fedora Rawhide), we'll disable such chroots, preserve the built results
> for a while, and then delete them if no action is taken by the user.
>
> Hope this isn't going to cause too much inconvenience.  Feel free to
> discuss this here or under the blog post.

So Copr is going even further with this broken approach of deleting user
data to "address storage consumption". As I have already stated several
times, deleting user data by default (on an opt-out basis) is NEVER
acceptable.

Even more so if the opt-out requires one to fight Copr's dark patterns
deliberately making it a pain in the neck: One has to log into Copr every so
often, and each time click a whole bunch of "Extend" buttons one at a time.
There is no way to opt out permanently nor even for a longer time period
than the default, nor even an "Extend All" button.

The real issue still appears to be that "Disk storage is the commodity that
incurs the highest cloud costs.", which means that cloud might not be the
right technology to use here. Or at least the particular cloud
implementation you are using (which last I checked was from Amazon). I
understand that (also last I checked) the cloud infrastructure was donated
to you for free. But that donation is not of much use if it does not include
a workable amount of storage for something like Copr nor an offer to extend
the storage at a reasonable price (which Amazon's list price is apparently
not).

        Kevin Kofler