Re: Home made tutorial to help beginners into packaging

On Sun, Jul 14, 2024 at 11:50:28AM +0200, Sébastien Le Roux wrote:
> Hello,
> go figured but the past days have been intense for me (on the meson side of
> things),
> after your email I decided to give a look to meson, and then discovered
> something
> really interesting that pushed me to try and move my project to meson, to
> give it a try,
> and then I figured that I could add the meson part to my tutorial ... after
> all ... and I did ...
> So against my previous thoughts meson is now officially part of the manual
> ... not sure yet but
> I might be really grateful that you pointed me towards it, so thank you
> really !

Cool!

On page 40, 'cc_args =' is not going to work, that's a syntax error.
But a bigger problem is that there's no need to play with -O and -g
like that… Meson has builtin -D buildtype=… and it's beter to use that.
It also has built-in support e.g. for lto, so it's better to push user
to use those standard interfaces.

In "Declaring project sources", it'd be better to use files(). Then meson
immediately knows that the string is a file and will complain if the file
is not found.

You say "complete list of source file(s) must be provided":
- "file(s)" is the formatting used in DOS messages, and it's a … bad idea.
  Just say "sources files".
- Actually, only not all source files, because headers (and other files
  that are transitively included) do not need to be listed. This is not
  obvious, but it's a nice simplification not to have to list header
  files.

Overall, looks good. This is a reasonable introduction to Meson.

Zbyszek