Re: Home made tutorial to help beginners into packaging

On Sun, Jul 07, 2024 at 12:09:21PM +0200, Sébastien Le Roux wrote:
> https://github.com/Slookeur/OPEN

Hi Sébastien,

This is a very impressive introduction to Autotools and Cmake (and other things).
In teaching there's the technique of listing things that the reader
will "know" and be able to do after following the tutorial.
In the introduction you say that this tutorial is for people who want
to make their programs available as open source, and then your describe
how to add Autotools configuration. I find this iffy — IMO Autotools should
not be used for anything new. It just doesn't make sense to even hint
to anyone new to the subject of packaging of trying that. And by
describing it first and in detail you implicitly give the message
that it's a useful technique.

Later you talk about CMake. I like that you describe a workflow that
uses pkgconfig; the declarative style of CMakeLists.txt in your
example is nice and modern. FWIW, I think that a Meson config would
be even better. It would be great to have a the same project configured
with CMake and Meson to be able to compare the two approaches.

Zbyszek

PS. From the section about git:
> git commit -m "Program [V-$version] `date`"
This is not useful. A git commit contains a date.