Re: Sending mail using @fedoraproject.org (SMTP server needed)

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 11:53:03AM GMT, Michel Lind wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 03:03:33PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 03:48:40PM +0200, Remi Collet wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > For years, it was possible to send email using a fedoraproject.org address.
> > >
> > > It seems that various ISP now refuse to send mail from an alias outside
> > > of their authority
> > >
> > > Ex: Orange French ISP now only allows @orange.fr address
> > > linked to the authenticated account
> > >
> > > They suggest to use fedora project SMTP server
> > > which doesn't exist
> > >
> > > For now, workaround exists (switching to another SMTP server)
> > > but in the future more providers will probably apply same constraint

yeah, sadly over time the email aliases are becoming less and less
useful.

> > Even if you use a different server, Fedora publishes SPF records, so if
> > you're sending from a server that's not in SPF, your mail is more likely
> > to be classified as spam.

Note that the SPF record for fedoraproject is:

fedoraproject.org descriptive text "v=spf1 a a:mailers.fedoraproject.org ip4:38.145.60.11 ip4:38.145.60.12 ?all"

which has ?all at the end, which is _supposed_ to mean
"Interpreted as None / No policy"
So, providers should not care about this, but of course some providers
probibly ignore all that and treat any spf record as deny all.

> @centosproject.org is set up similarly - and I observed that sending
> emails out with my own SMTP, with the from changed to my CentOS alias,
> results in the mail being rejected by... Red Hat's server.

To my knowledge, CentOS never provided aliases for maintainers.
Things from @centos.org should normally be coming from official/expected
IP's and allowed. I could of course be wrong...

kevin