Re: Koji side tag -- how to use an older build?

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 10:55:03PM GMT, Jan Pazdziora wrote:

> Hello,
>
> my Koji knowledge seems to be rusty and I used to be an admin in my
> Koji instance, so I'm coming for an advice how to achieve what I need
> in Fedora's Koji with the permissions given me by fedpkg.
>
> I'd need to debug a FTBFS issue, so I'd like to run a
>
> 	fedpkg scratch-build --target=...
>
> with a side tag target where I'd have an older version of
> a specific dependency package.

ok

> I've used fedpkg request-side-tag to get me a side tag off f40-build,
> then I used koji tag-build to tag a specific older build of openvdb
> I want to have for my scratch build ...

Sounds reasonable.

> But when I run the scratch build, I still get the latest greatest
> build from f40-updates. So it seems tagging into my child tag (target)
> does not "override" the build seen, I still get newer build from the
> parent tags.

Did you wait for the next newrepo?
It's not instant. You have to tag the package and wait-repo for the next
newrepo for that sidetag.

> How can I stop any newer build of that package to propagate from
> f40 (or f40-updates) to my side tag and force the old build I need
> to take precedence?

You shouldn't need to, koji doesn't know anything about 'versions'. It
only knows what is the most recently tagged in build of that package.

kevin