Re: F42 Change Proposal: Opt-In Metrics for Fedora Workstation (system-wide)

On Mon, Jul 8 2024 at 02:28:09 PM -05:00:00, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good question! I *think* timestamps are no longer a problem. It does store precise timestamps alongside a hash of the full submission, but it doesn't actually store the full submission itself anymore, and the first few tables of metrics I've checked do not any contain timestamps. But we do need to audit and make sure that if timestamps are stored anywhere else, we must reduce their granularity to prevent them from being matched up with timestamps from other records.

I found a record that includes a timestamp, to the nearest millisecond. It doesn't store the time that the *record* was submitted -- rather, it's the time that a particular event occurred on the Fedora system -- but if other metrics also store timestamps and those events happens to occur at approximately the same time, the timestamp could be used to identify that the records were both collected from the same user. (Of course you wouldn't know *who* because that info is just not stored at all, but our promise is you won't even know the events come from the same user.)

Again, the solution here is to just reduce the granularity of all timestamps.