Re: F42 Change Proposal: Opt-In Metrics for Fedora Workstation (system-wide)

On Sunday 7 July 2024 20:25:27 CEST Mattia Verga via devel wrote:
> It is not scary, it's how the things get done - find solutions for
> concerns raised by the community about the proposal and propose
> corrections.

In principle that is correct. Things are not black or white though.

One could say the proponents should understand how badly many users disagree
with it and stop their attempts ( and I am *not* saying this, I am playing
devil's advocate here).

> I was against the change in its previous form, but I now
> changed my mind.

Well, I have not. The metrics collection must be _unequivocally_ off.

If somebody wants to share anything it is their prerogative (and right!) to do
so but without what I see as social engineering to make more people say "yes"

> BTW, it's not really different on how the kde-sig managed to drop x11
> support - they wanted to do so and they have not stopped until they got
> what they want, addressing most of the concerns raised by the community.

This is completely unrelated so let's not discuss that here.

> So, again, I ask to stop implying malicious intentions where there's
> none.

I honestly believe people here *want* to do _good_. I still believe the action
is *malicious*. I quoted it in another message but I will repeat it here: road
to hell is paved with good intentions

> Folks behind this proposal need this data to improve Fedora
That is just not true. I am sorry.

You can improve Fedora in myriads of ways without collecting users' data.

> and
> they're not going to spy on Fedora users to sell their data to big
> companies.

With that statement you are showing that many here do not understand the
concern: nobody (I daresay) believes the proponents of this want to spy on
Fedora users or sell the data.

The concern is that the data is available at all!

> You're probably leaking a lot more sensitive data by just
> browsing the web.

Let's say "possibly" instead of "probably". Regardless, that is a very weak
argument. The fact that some information might be leaked while browsing the
web has absolutely no weight on whether I would like to see even *more* data
from Fedora users collected by yet another entity (not matter how well
intended)

--
Marc Deop i Argemí
System Engineer