Re: F42 Change Proposal: Opt-In Metrics for Fedora Workstation (system-wide)

for the generic 'you', 'your', 'me' and 'my' ... one _user_'s comment on this interminable topic.

create whatever surveys 'you' want.
create tools to collect whatever metrics 'you' want.

it's up to 'you' to code & manage them correctly, in compliance with project & community policies, and laws.

if collected data is of value to 'you', it's 'your' job to communicate clearly and convincingly to 'me' if 'you' want me to choose to participate.

**NO** data, of any kind, should be collected or sent from any system in 'my' env, without 'my' *explicit*, confirmed opt-in -- ideally with 'my' clear understanding, but there's no *guarantee* to 'you' of that, beyond my say-so.

that explicit confirmation should be either in the form of an explicit opt-in to an online service -- and by "explicit" i mean NOT "buried in the microprint" -- or by an explicit ACTION, such as choosing and installing a package that installs 'your' data query/collection tool on my system(s).

if i catch any collectors/surveys/etc grabbing data from 'my' systems without 'my' opt-in, i immediately disconnect.

if:

(1) i can't remove them from my systems trivially

	or

(2) _prove_ that they're fully/permanently disabled

	or

(3) "Official Policy" changes to support/enable poking around in 'my' systems without opt-in/permission,

then i will permanently remove the SYSTEMS from the environment.

and switch to another.