Re: F42 Change Proposal: Opt-In Metrics for Fedora Workstation (system-wide)

On Tue, 2 Jul 2024 at 07:00, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 2 2024 at 12:04:48 PM +02:00:00, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Because Red Hat is based in the US. It can be used against users from
> > countries and regions that the US does not like (e.g. sanctions,
> > export
> > policies, etc.).
>
> Please remember the data collected will be anonymous and the data
> points will not be aggregated together with other data points.

If there is one thing I have learned over the last 30 years of data
collection.. there is nothing that is truly anonymous anymore than
there is any cryptographic function that is truly crack-proof. At best
you need to be able to show how your data collection defends against
current ways to deanonymize date.

1. The more data you collect, the more methods which can be used to
decloak various things.
2. Pretty much every time I have seen someone say 'the data will not
be aggregated together'.. that is usually the first thing which gets
dropped when someone says 'so we have data pile A which says this and
data pile B which says that.. how do we figure out which one is right
or if there is any correlation?'

You need to have better than 'promises' that these things won't occur.
You need outlined methods and be honest ' we can't promise the
impossible'. Otherwise this is going to run into the same roadblocks
that these proposals have run into for the last 15 years in Fedora
because everyone who knows this space is going to see it as snake-oil.

> I wouldn't get too caught up in any particular proposed metric at this
> time, because each metric will need to be debated separately before it
> gets approved to be collected. I'm not seeing a particularly strong
> reason for collecting the user's country, but if somebody wants to do
> so, we can have that debate at that time.
>
> Michael
>

> --

Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard
battle. -- Ian MacClaren