Re: 2FA policy for provenpackagers is now active

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 4:48 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 24/06/2024 23:38, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > As I recall from a previous query, there are
> > (around) 90 active proven packagers (and
> > ~250 total who were in the PP group).
>
> I think most privacy/security focused developers/maintainers won't plug
> USB tokens they get from random people on the Internet into their
> PC/laptop because it could be a BadUSB or something even worse.
>
> The most common attack is when an attacker plants USB devices near the
> office of the company they want to attack. Connecting such devices is
> completely NO-GO.

There's a certain amount of trust required in accepting a USB key from
*anyone* (even if you were to order one directly from Yubico, RSA,
Adafruit, etc.).

If we move to requiring tokens, I think it's entirely certain that we
would allow anyone to provide their own that we enroll. I assume that
Matthew's offer was for us to be able to help those who (for one
reason or another) cannot afford one. In that situation, the
provenpackagers would be making a three way decision: 1) Stop being a
provenpackager, 2) buy their own token or 3) accept one provided by
Fedora.

I am not a lawyer, but I would assume that if Fedora offered to
provide such a token, it would be reviewed by Legal and provide some
form of legally-binding assertion that we weren't sending out
malicious devices.