Re: Firefox 126.0 with DBus service

On 17/05/2024 08:05, Martin Stransky wrote:
Gnome search service is provided by running Firefox application itself. It's because it searches and publishes results from recent live user profile.

Why can't GNOME Search engine just parse Firefox's *.sqlite databases like everyone else does (like KDE Plasma)? It's more simple and easy.

So if we have Firefox without Gnome search service / DBus service we'd need different .desktop file with 'DBusActivatable=false' for it (as AFAIK rpm doesn't allow to overwrite file owned by different package).

W should start providing it as a separate desktop file, since Firefox is now always running in the background and consuming more than 1GB of RAM. User can't even easily terminate this process without disabling the service. If you SIGKILL, systemd will spawn it again. And the service can't be disabled/masked too because Firefox doesn't start.

So it's a bit complicated situation here. I think it's clumsy to have firefox-gnome and firefox-non-gnome rpm with different desktop files but I don't see any other option (beside to remove gnome search or implement it as different app and broker the search results).

1. Provide a standard shortcut without DBusActivatable and with NotShowIn=gnome for all other DEs in the firefox package. 2. Create a separate package with gnome-search related files (including a .service file and a special shortcut with OnlyShowIn=gnome).
3. Install this package only if the gnome-shell is installed.

--
Sincerely,
  Vitaly Zaitsev (vitaly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)