Re: LLVM Packaging Ideas for Fedora 41

On 14. 05. 24 16:02, Vít Ondruch wrote:

Dne 13. 05. 24 v 20:23 Miro Hrončok napsal(a):
On 13. 05. 24 15:38, Vít Ondruch wrote:
And TBH, for me as a Fedora used with no special interest in Python, the current Python versioning sucks hard. How am I supposed to tell what is the current version just looking at e.g. the repository? Is it `python3.12` or is it already `python3.13`? Despite I have spent with Fedora more then a decade, answering such simple question is not trivial for me.

I guess that for the user, the easiest way is to look at the RPMs. Users barely look into our repositories.

~~~

$ rpm -q python
package python is not installed

~~~

Why?

Because it is called python3.

$ rpm -q python3
python3-3.12.3-2.fc39.x86_64

I thought this discussion is about python3.12 vs python3.13, not about python vs python3. I supposed the reason it is called python3 and not python is well know at this point (but if it is not, let me know and I'll try to explain).

We are in 2024, so I suppose we could rename everything python3 to python now, I just worry that it would be a lot of effort for not much benefit.

Even if `# dnf install python` does something, it still won't install `python` package.

Well, it installs the python-unverisoned-command package. Which requires python3. So it install python. Why does it matter? What are you trying to demonstrate here? (Don't take me wrong, I always appreciate good criticism, I juts don't understand what are you suggesting we should do.)

Do you suggest to rename python-unversioned-command to python?
Do you suggest to rename python3 to python?
Do you suggest to rename the python3.12 component to python? (As names of the components started this discussion.)
Or is it something else?

--
Miro Hrončok