Re: GIMP 3.0 in F41?

On Monday, 13 May 2024 at 23:22, Nils Philippsen wrote:
[...]
> Let me try to clarify: Offering both major versions is mainly to cater
> for existing projects people might have. It’s hardly a maintenance
> burden as long as the dependencies are still available, at some point
> this might change and then the 2.x package will be retired. I have my
> reasons for naming the set of packages ("gimp", "gimp3") rather than
> ("gimp2", "gimp") which you might not find convincing, but in the end
> which package gets the versioned name and which doesn’t is an
> implementation detail – many people use package management software
> which doesn’t display these front and center.

Not moving the "gimp" RPM to 3.x once it's released is arguably contrary
to Fedora principle of being "First". Historically, when some upstream
released a new major version, Fedora packaging followed it and,
sometimes, kept the older version as a separate, version-suffixed
package. This was accompanied by a Change and I think it makes sense to
do a Self-Contained Change upgrading gimp to GIMP 3.0 and introducing
gimp2 for those who need it in F41.

You still have plenty of time (until Jul 16th) to write up and submit
the Change. By that time, GIMP 3.0 will very likely be out already,
so by F41 release, GIMP users will be aware that 3.0 is out. I think
it's both safe and expected to move the main gimp package to 3.0 and
upgrade users automatically in F41.

Do you have any convincing arguments to do otherwise?

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://fedoraproject.org